Monday, October 10, 2016

Untold Story #9: Lions Narnia Braille Trail


At some point, I came across and saved The Complete Listing of All Public Children's Literature Statues in the United States; then, at some later point, I noticed that there are statues from C.S. Lewis's The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe in Kingsport, Tennessee. The statues, as it turns out, are on what's called the Lions Narnia Braille Trail, which is part of a Boundless Playground (for children of all physical and mental abilities) in Warriors' Path State Park. We'd never been to Warriors' Path.

Typically, we celebrate Charleigh's birthday at Jellystone in Natural Bridge or Luray, but I talked Jim into camping at Warriors' Path, this year. We had to drive a bit further, but staying in a tent in Warrior's Path is about ten times less expensive than staying in a cabin in Jellystone. Also, the Warriors' Path location was much more convenient for my parents, who camped beside us in their little, homemade camper.

All of us enjoyed the campground; in fact, I know my dad's planning to return. (I think to fish?) I'd called to make reservations (as opposed to making them online) and gotten excellent recommendations regarding our campsites, which were beside bathrooms and a playground. The kids ran amok (under our relatively watchful eyes) and made lots of friends.

The Narnia trail was my favorite thing about Warriors' Path, as I knew it would be. Each of the eight sensory stations tells a part of The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe not only in braille, but also by recording.





I didn't edit this photo because it makes me laugh.
 I wonder how many times I've been the photographer in the background?






While in Kingsport, we also bought hot dogs from the original Pal's and visited the Kingsport Carousel, which had opened just a little over a year before and includes all hand-carved animals. It was a great trip, overall; I recommend it highly.




No comments:

Post a Comment